Last Saturday, Jaxon said he wanted to cook something. I browsed Instagram and checked the pantry and found the easiest treat to make with him, and bonus…we had all the ingredients on hand!
This is Alex’s recipe, and you find it and others here. I also pasted it below. BUT instead of having a 2 year old form balls and dip them into melted chocolate, I simplified things..
We made bars. We used the 2 cups puffed brown rice cereal, needed 1/3 cup honey, and did 1/2 cup peanut butter. Mixed that all together in a bowl and then pressed down into a baking dish with sides, lined with wax paper.
Then we made the chocolate topping, but used an entire cup of Enjoy Life chocolate chips, with 1 tsp. coconut oil, and just melted in the microwave. We poured the chocolate evenly on top of the bars and let harden in the fridge for about an hour.
They were so easy and the perfect dairy and egg free treat for Jaxon!
What You Need:
- 2 cups puffed brown rice cereal (One Degree Organics has a great line)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp. peanut butter (could use any smooth nut butter)
- 1 tsp. coconut oil*
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips of choice (I used Enjoy Life Foods)
- In a medium bowl, mix the puffed brown rice, honey, and peanut butter until evenly coated
- I used a very creamy peanut butter (crazy richard’s), so I had to pop this bowl in the freezer while it hardened
- Line a baking tray with wax paper. Form the mixture into balls and place on the tray. Place it into the freezer again so they can set
- In a small pot, melt the coconut oil over low heat (*use more for a thin chocolate coating, and less for a thicker coating)
- Once melted, add in the chocolate chips. Stir occasionally. Once it’s almost melted, but not all the way, take off heat
- Continue to stir until all chips are melted. This prevents it from burning
- Place each puffed rice ball into the melted chocolate until fully covered. Let the excess chocolate drip off
- Place back onto the wax paper. Place in the freezer one last time to harden.
- Once hardened, enjoy! I like to store mine in the freezer for throughout the week